SHIAWASSEE COUNTY, MI — The man accused of killing a Swartz Creek man and cannibalizing parts of his body has been moved to the state’s Center for Forensic Psychiatry.

Shiawassee County Sheriff Brian BeGole confirmed Mark D. Latunski was transferred Monday, June 29 to the center near Ypsilanti.

Latunski, 51, was previously charged with open murder and mutilation of a body in connection with the Dec. 28, 2019 death of 25-year-old Kevin Bacon.

Man arraigned on murder, mutilation charges in Kevin Bacon case

BeGole said there was some delay in his transfer over COVID-19 and the wait for a bed to open at the secured facility.

“They just notified us that they cold take him,” BeGole told MLive-The Flint Journal late Monday morning.

Bacon’s body was found in a secret room in the basement of Latunski’s former Bennington Township home. The home was auctioned off Feb. 26.

House in Kevin Bacon murder, cannibalism case sells to highest bidder

Latunski allegedly killed Bacon and ate parts of his body.

He was found not competent to stand trial in late February after competency and forensic evaluations were approved by Shiawassee Chief District Judge Ward L. Clarkson, triggering a 15-month window to find him competent.

Latunski will remain at the lockdown facility and receive treatment until he is found competent to stand trial.

Douglas Corwin Jr., public defender for Latunski, previously said once the 15-month time frame passes the matter would be turned over to probate court on how to handle Latunski’s mental health treatment moving forward.

He also has submitted an insanity defense for Latunski.

More on MLive:

Alleged killer, cannibal Mark Latunski found incompetent to stand trial

Parents of slain Swartz Creek man talk about son, homicide investigation

911 caller ‘woke up … chained in a basement’ of house in cannibal, murder case

Grisly cannibalism, murder case update, what we know so far

911 call reveals man escaped alleged killer’s basement with butcher knife



Source Google News