DEAR JEFF: I recently read an article that said that a payable-on-death form can be filled out that allows bank accounts and securities to pass to another person without going through probate. Is this correct, and where can I get the forms? Thanks, “Wrapping Up Loose Ends”

Dear “Loose Ends”: A payable-on-death form does allow account proceeds to pass immediately upon death, without the necessity of going through probate.

This page requires Javascript.

Javascript is required for you to be able to read premium content. Please enable it in your browser settings.

kAm%96D6 D@CED @7 AC@G:D:@?D 42? C65F46 E96 2>@F?E @7 E:>6 :E E2<6D 7@C >@?6J E@ C6249 J@FC 36?67:4:2C:6D[ D:?46 @H?6CD9:A A2DD6D :>>65:2E6=J] %96 36?67:4:2CJ D:>A=J ?665D E@ AC@G6 E92E E96 562E9 @44FCC65 3J AC@G:5:?8 E96 :?DE:EFE:@? H:E9 2 562E9 46CE:7:42E6]k^Am

kAmx7 E96 D2>6 AC@4665D A2DD65 F?56C 2 H:==[ E96J >2J ?@E 36 2G2:=23=6 7@C D6G6C2= >@?E9D 27E6C E96 562E9] %96 7@C>D 42? 36 @3E2:?65 2E J@FC 7:?2?4:2= :?DE:EFE:@? — FDF2==J E96 7@C> 😀 :?4=F565 @? J@FC D:8?2EFC6 42C5[ H9:49 H2D D:8?65 H96? E96 244@F?E @A6?65] %96 D:8?2EFC6 42C5 42? 36 2>6?565 2E J@FC C6BF6DE]k^Am

kAmkDEC@?8mstp# ytuuik^DEC@?8m s@ x 92G6 E@ 8@ E@ 4@FCE E@ 492?86 >J =2DE ?2>6n %92?<D[ “(2?E $@>6E9:?8 s:776C6?E”k^Am

kAmkDEC@?8ms62C “$@>6E9:?8 s:776C6?E”ik^DEC@?8m *6D[ J@F H:== ?665 E@ 8@ E@ 4@FCE E@ 92G6 J@FC =2DE ?2>6 =682==J 492?865] *@F H:== ?665 E@ 36 23=6 E@ 56>@?DEC2E6 E@ E96 ;F586 E92E E96 ?2>6 492?86 😀 ?@E 36:?8 D@F89E E@ 567C2F5 2?J 4C65:E@CD]k^Am

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call 639-2900.

Source Google News