BUFFALO GROVE, IL — The coronavirus pandemic has had a devastating impact on the economy, forcing small businesses across Illinois to shutter. However, in a show of exemplary community spirit, Buffalo Grove residents are supporting small businesses with the hope that a new year will help turn things around.
As we turn the page on 2020, it is now more important than ever to frequent local businesses. What the next 12 months have in store for the local business community is anyone’s guess, but residents are thankful that many have made it through a rough year and believe 2021 will be much better.
We asked Patch readers to nominate some of their favorite businesses as part of our year-end coverage. Here we showcase some of the best:
The Continental Restaurant & Banquets
Plaza at Buffalo Grove, 788 S Buffalo Grove Road, Buffalo Grove
Since 1995, The Continental has been serving Buffalo Grove and the surrounding communities. The owners are committed to offering warm, friendly, personal service and a broad menu featuring quality food for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and evening snacks, at affordable prices. The restaurant is open 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, and 6 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- “Pete, the owner, gives back to the community. The food is excellent. A great place to get together with friends.”
- “The food is consistently excellent! The staff is amazing and even with the struggles of COVID they treat their customers like beloved family.”
- “Peter (owner) is the best, most generous person!! The food is fantastic and the servers are always a joy to deal with.”
- “Good food, good owner, and great to the community.”
- “Been a customer of this restaurant for 20 plus years. Best homemade soup and home style cooking. And Pete and the staff are like family! Great family Restaurant!”
Dorfler’s Meat Market
1182 McHenry Road, Buffalo Grove
Dorfler’s prides itself on being the “best source for the finest and freshest meats, fish, deli and catering since 1978. It boasts that the experienced, knowledgeable, friendly and dedicated staff bring over 200 years of collective experience, which sets it apart from grocery chains and big box stores. Dorfler’s is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and closed on Sunday.
- “Excellent product and service.”
- “Always kind and, very helpful. They support many neighborhood functions throughout the year. Reminds me of the old butcher shop we went to when I was young, without the saw dust on the floor.”
- “They offer the best customer service and are always there to serve the community.”
245 McHenry Road, Buffalo Grove
1169 N Old McHenry Road, Buffalo Grove
1697 Weiland Road, Buffalo Grove
Long-running chain serving signature donuts, breakfast sandwiches and a variety of coffee drinks.
- “Raj, Raj and Raj! This many goes above and beyond for the entire community! He makes sure that kids get special treats on their birthdays, and he is someone who you can look to if you need a great, big small! He is just an all-around good guy and does a great job staying involved in the community and helping those in need!”
Artistic Barbers By Christa
818 S Buffalo Grove Road, Buffalo Grove
Artistic Barbers calls itself the original barber shop of Buffalo Grove with more than 130 years of combined experience amongst its staff. Traditional service with a family-friendly atmosphere. Artistic Barbers is open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, and closed on Sunday and Monday.
“We’ve been going to Artistic since my son was 4 yrs old (now 40). Christa has always been nice and it’s always a pleasure to go there.”
Original Bagel & Bialy
The Grove, 105 McHenry Road, Buffalo Grove
Original Bagel & Bialy is where friends and family meet and eat. While indoor dining is closed due to the pandemic, in-store pickup, delivery and curbside service are available. Outdoor dining is also an option when the weather cooperates. Original Bagel & Bialy is open 7 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, and 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday.
- “Fabulous staff, wonderful food, great safety during COVID.”
Wiener Take All
Creekside Commons, 1117 Weiland Road, Buffalo Grove
The longtime local business features a menu filled with many mouth-watering dishes, including amazing specials like its award-winning house specialty hot dog and hamburger. The owners say, “we love doing our part to feed the local community.” Wiener Take All is open 10:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- “The food is outstanding, the owner takes a lot of pride in what they do there, and he is active in the community as well as within organizations within the state. The staff is very personable and makes you feel welcome. They also understand that during these times it’s hard on all of us, and they make sure you know how thankful they are that you stopped in.”
Purple Sprout Conscious Organics
364 Lexington Drive, Buffalo Grove
Organic vegan and healing meals delivery are amongst the services offered at Purple Sprout. The store is also known for healthy vegan desserts, a virtual cafe offering family meals, holistic health services, cooking classes and workshops, and an online store.
- “This is a small local family-owned business which creates organic, vegan, non-GMO meals from scratch. Such delicious creations at https://purplesprout.com/ They struggled to survive during the pandemic but found in their hearts to offer FREE ORGANIC MEALS to anyone who wanted them on multiple Saturdays during Spring Summer and Fall of 2020. They are small family owned with every member of the family helping out with warm, welcoming and loving attitudes to all customers.”
Patch Editor Abhinanda Datta contributed to this story.