CONYERS — Qualifying opens Wednesday for the June 15 special election for Rockdale County Probate Court judge.
The office is currently held by Probate Court Judge Gary Washington, who was appointed by Gov. Brian Kemp to fill the position in March following the appointment of Judge Clarence Cuthpert Jr. to the State Court bench. Washington previously served as associate judge in the Probate Court under Cuthper.
Qualifying for the special election begins Wednesday and will conclude Friday at noon. The qualifying schedule is as follows:
Wednesday, May 12: 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, May 13: 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday, May 14: 9 a.m. – Noon
The deadline to register to vote in the election is Monday, May 17. Sample ballots will be available by Tuesday, May 18.
The options being offered to vote include mail absentee ballots, in-person early voting, Saturday voting and in-person Election Day voting. Early in-person voting will take place at 1400 Parker Road only. Election Day in-person voting will take place at the voter’s assigned polling place. For voters voting in person, due to social distancing, all voters are encouraged to please wear a mask and be prepared to wait.
Early voting begins Monday, May 24, which is also the first day absentee ballots by mail will be mailed.
Early voting will continue through Friday, June 11 at the Parker Road location only. Election dates and times are as follows:
• May 24 – June 4, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• June 5 – Saturday Voting, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• June 7 & 8 – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• June 9 – June 11 – 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• June 11 – Early Voting Ends and Last day Absentee Ballots will be mailed
• Tuesday, June 15 – Election Day – Polls will be open 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
• Tuesday, June 15 – All Mail Ballots must be returned to Board of Elections office by 7p.m.
• Tuesday, July 13 – Runoff Election, if necessary.
For more information, contact the Rockdale County Board of Elections Office at 770-278-7333.